Monday, September 20, 2010

Finding the Training Rythym

So I am picking my training up again, but with a little different approach than I have had in the past. I am running when I get up and feel like running, but if I feel tired or beat up then I bike. Even though my mileage has been low getting back to normal miles can be as hard as running big miles sometimes. But for the time being I am not using the watch much in the way of pacing just trying to push when I feel good and back off when I don't. In a few weeks I will probably add some speed but just a little, since you don't need a whole lot of raw speed for ultras. In racing news I am planning on doing the Currahee Mountain Adventure Duathlon in November. It is technically an adventure race with running and biking. The race director, Clint Sanders, a friend of mine has been trying for a couple of years to get me to come out and try to win it without using a bike. How is this possible? The course is made up of checkpoints scattered throughout the Currahee Wilderness with some areas being bike accessible and some being no-bike zones. Clint's theory is that a runner could save time by running through the no-bike zones and not having to reroute to pick up a bike and go around said zones. He guesses that I will run about 30 miles that day which makes it a really fun long run opportunity.

In other life news Emily and I went to the doctor last week and were able to see our baby again! It is truly amazing to see God's creation grow before your eyes. We heard the heartbeat first and it was nice and strong(about 162). Then we had an unscheduled ultrasound since our midwife is a friend. She found the baby immediately and the pictures were incredible. We could see shim's facial features and arms and legs and even fingers. I could actually see the chambers of the heart that one day will pump gallons of blood to my child's oxygen deprived muscles as they power them through a race. We could see shim move and bounce around and even get the hiccups! I am so thankful for the little miracle that is only about 2.5 inches long right now. Next month we go back and should be able to find out if it's a boy or a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment